Hi Marc, *,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
I was just wondering about the donation site and the list of translations.
Once we get a large number of languages,

Well - having a large number of languages is nice, but not essential.
Especially the small ones that don't have much content on their
NL-pages probably won't contribute much to the overall amount of
donations/those people are used to see english page instead of their
native language. Or they wouldn't find their way to
donate.libreoffice.org anyway.

I don't know if the look of a large
list will give the page a "good look" (I am trying not to use 'professional
look'). But when people drop by the page, and if there is a long list, it
may not look too inviting.

Easiest thing is to limit the list to just one line using css and have
it expand on click.

As it stands now, there are just 5 translations, and there are already
spacing problems (or at least that's the impression one gets); the languages
are not in any order -- alphabetical should be the default, or, is there an
option for a drop-down button instead?

Drop-downs is a last-resort solution, as that then hides all the nice
languages. It should "jump into your face" that there are many
languages available, you shouldn't need to hunt for them.
And btw: they are in alphabetical order, just that non-ascii character
placement might not be what you expect.
Currently available on Draft site are the following translations:
 Русский 日本語 Deutsch Türkçe Português (Brasil)

so Cyrillic, kanji, then D, T, P  - that is alphabetical order, with
"symbols" sorted first.

If we really get so many languages that the available space is too
small / the list gets "too ugly", one can always add some javascript
to suggest the user the page that matches the browser's
accept-language.
(probably not a bad idea to add the code even earlier, and give the
matching items a more stand-out look)

Do we really need the link "Start" on the page? It doesn't seem to be of any
use. Well, unless you want to go back to the start page after going to the
translated page, which still doesn't make much sense.

The label "Start" probably doesn't make much sense right now, but it
doesn't hurt either (unless you have a different proposal).

It is planned to fill that donate.libreoffice.org site with some more
pages in future.

ciao
Christian