On 12/16/2011 10:34 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:
I know we use Silverstripe CMS for the service, but I was wondering if
anyone tested out Tiki Wiki while looking for the CMS package to be used by
TDF?
Nope - as the website is not to be edited by "everyone" just like the
wiki is, but editing the main website should be restricted to
"trusted" people.

  Or, do anyone know someone who uses it?  My hosting company has these
three CMS packages usable for my account;  MediaWiki, pmWiki, Twiki.
It depends on what you're aiming for. Editing by the public/everybody,
then a wiki will do, editing by a restricted bunch → a "regular" cms
will do.

I have read some articles about "personal clouds", i.e. CMS packages used as
clouds, and this was the only one that my hosting service has available from
their very short list of CMS/cloud packages that can be used for personal
use.
Sorry, don't understand what that implies regarding the
features/requirements for the cms.

I have a friend that really needs to use a personal web-based system that is
like a cloud with CMS options.  I thought of what TDF uses, but wanted to
find something easier to use by less-tech-savvy people.
Oh, check out the silverstripe 3 preview then - the UI got revamped.
Or check out the wiki/front-end editing modules. (also the blog module
allows creation of posts from the frontend - if that is what you mean
"more suited for less tech savy").

So I am asking if anyone here has any knowledge of the three packages listed
above, or at least Tiki Wiki [Twiki]?  Since TDF did not just choose a CMS
package without testing a few, I was hoping that maybe someone tested one of
the ones I can access.
What I learned when choosing a CMS: Don't trust words, try it for
yourself. That's really the only real advice I can give you.
Think about what is important for you. Need to change the visual
appearance/the theme? then look what template framework is used. Wikis
are hard to theme "nicely" - you'll almost always notice right from
the beginning that you're looking at a wiki....
How many people will edit, do the people know html, etc.

And for the website, a wiki was not taken into account (as wiki is a
separate instance anyway, with different focus).

ciao
Christian

What the article states is that Tiki Wiki and a few others would be good to use as "personal clouds". What I think the guy wants is something "the family" could update or post files there for download. He is into geneology for the extended families. Also he is into other things that would require a cloud system to store the files, since he uses "public" library computers to do most of his work. He relies on me and others to place files online in places where he could either reference the files or copy them to the web work area he is using for the combination web page and file storage. The place is not the best for what he wants.

The following is listed for the CMS option for my hosting service. SilverStripe is listed there, but I have had issues with the UI: anyInventory , Drupal, Joomla!®, Mambo, MODx, Moodle, Nucleus, PostNuke, SilverStripe, Xoops. He would never be able to figure out SilverStripe's UI. He is not very computer savvy. I do not want to be the one hosting the pages AND do the creation/editing for him, which might be a possibility if it is not easy to use for him. He is slightly cracked.