Hi Ivan, *,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Ivan M. <ivanm@patentpending.co.nz> wrote:

Sorry to just jump in on the discussion (time is short and threads are
long), but I was wondering if Vanilla had been considered in some
depth as a forum solution. I saw it mentioned briefly, but no
evaluation apparently.

IMHO vanilla is too similar to askbot - it's layout is that of a Q&A
system, but without the voting for good/bad answers, and without
user-karma. It has categories, but most structure seems to be given
using tags.

As we already have decided that we will use askbot, vanillaforum seems
a bad choice for me.
It would have been an option if the decision would have been "Q&A site
*or* a forum", then it would have been a good compromise.

I of course didn't have a closer look, but given that people are
already having a hard time to decide between the fundamental layout of
the forums (subcategories vs separate forums), I fear that adding more
forum-technologies will just add up to confusion.

So when new forums are suggested, I expect them to be proposed as a
replacement for either phpBB or jforum, not as an additional choice to
try out.

So feel free to suggest "better" alternatives, but don't just throw in
some names, but clearly state why you think it is better.

ciao
Christian