Hi Marc, *,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
Le 2011-11-28 11:07, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

drawback: no mention of openID or similar. But just looking at
comparisons, and looking at a few with the postgresql as a hard requirement,
jForum would be the first I'd try (yes, it's java, but so is opengrok - and
opengrok just is great :-) ciao Christian

Wouldn't this seem a little strange to the outside world that we are on
record saying that LibreOffice is trying to move away from Java and then we
would opt for a Java based based forums?

No - the move away from Java is to reduce dependencies for the desktop
user. For the user it doesn't matter what software the server runs on.
The only problem with java is the overhead for creating the virtual
machine. On the server it doesn't matter - it is initialized once on
reboot and always available.
But on a regular user's computer, who doesn't use another
java-application already, the startup of the JVM can take a few
seconds. (and of course use a significant amount of ram).
It is like taking your car out of the garage to drive 200m to the
bakery. (versus taking your car to visit your aunt that lives 25km
away)

ciao
Christian