A few days ago, I was looking at what extension there were in the Extension Center's list. I was surprised at the fact that there were many that did not have any downloadable software available to use.

Most of these listed extensions show "No stable release available yet", with one I know of having 2 "likes" for an extension we cannot download and try to let the users know if we like it or not.

So is there some issue in the "allowed viewer" check list, that was needed when I created a listing? Or, is there some other thing going on that prevents the users for seeing a file to be downloaded.

I know there is still an issue with the dropped media extension for some of the listings, but all you may need to do is add the .oxt to the file after it is downloaded. But, having no file to be downloaded is another issue entirely.

I would like to test out some of these extensions, since they look useful to me. I have not looked, much, at the Template list, but I bet this issue might be there as well.

Any ideas about what is going on?
Any ideas on how a user can get the listed software?
Should we allow an extension/template be listed if there is no file to test out?

One of the extension had a comment about how he/she could get the extension on this site, or were they required to go to the OOo site and download it from there.

For the dictionaries needed/wanted, I have most of the dictionaries listed on the LibreOffice-NA.US site http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/dictionary.html plus some of the non-dictionary extension and some templates downloadable there as well. Hopefully most of these listed .oxt files will be available in the Extension and Template centers soon. The question would be for those extensions/templates that are no longer supported and the authors are either unknown or unreachable. Will those files ever be linked as part of one of the lists? There are some dictionaries that have not been updated for 3 or more years. There are many that have not been updated since 2008 and even a few from 2003 and 2004. I say that these may not be supported anymore, but still usable for those people who need a dictionary for that specific language. Will we have a method for including these files in the centers?

These are my observations and concerns. LO needs to have the largest list of these templates, extensions, and dictionaries. We do not want to have our users need to go to OOo's listings, or even my LO DVD testing site to get what is wanted/needed by our users. LO's centers need to be the preferred online place to get these files. The DVD sites would be just a place showing what can be found offline on specific DVDs created for localized regions.

Tim L.
webmaster at LibreOffice-NA.US