I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Firefox 3.6.23. I clicked on the link listed below for testing. It took less than 5 seconds to load up. I had FF already running. I clicked on the link, FF briefly came to the front and then the Thunderbird "window" came back to the front of FF. I quickly click on the FF "tab" on the panel on the bottom of the screen and I saw that the download dialog box was asking me what I wanted to do; "save" or "open it" with the default archive manager.

Just did it again and the dialog still popped up within 2 or 3 seconds. All I did was click on the link and then clicked on the FF tab on the panel to bring it forward to the top of all the open "windows" on my desktop.

So it looks line it could be IE8 and IE9 that is causing the problems, or maybe with the addition of Vista 32 bit. I noticed that IE7 and then IE8 sometimes took a long 10 to 30 count before the dialog comes up to ask me if I wanted to download/save it or to download/open it. I once saw it take several minutes to come up with the download dialog.

I wonder if there is something with the web page server that has some "strange" slow way to do the "hand shaking" with the browser's protocols for "viewing" non-HTML file and deciding what to do with that file/mime type. Does it try to open it for display [think .txt file], display it like an image file and decide if it needs to be displayed in a reduced size, play it like a audio or video file, or when all the options are looked at and none are the proper response to the file/mime type, it then has no other option but to ask if you want to download and save it to your local file system, or run it in the application that your browser and OS determines the proper/default package to run the file/mime type with.

I wonder it the web page server for the Supportex mirror is having trouble "talking to" IE about what is to be done with the mime type of ".exe". It has to be, in my opinion, that there are issues with that web page server and its communication with IE. Firefox does not have that problem, or at least FF 3.6.23 running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

To test the link with IE, I would have to put an XP [32-bit] computer back together [working on fixing/upgrading it] or wait for my Vista [32-bit] laptop to be returned from a quick loan. I do not like Windows anymore, so I use Linux on as many computers as I can, but need to keep a Windows computer for Windows-only USB devices and needed software that only has Windows version [like special software that sets up and prints CD/DVD media.

But, at least you know that a different browser and OS combination did not have that problem.
.