Hi Jonathan, *,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Jonathan Aquilina
<eagles051387@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
Is there an offsite server based outside germany or anywhere else in the
world that hosts a backup of the website in case main server needs to go
down for maintenance it falls over to the backup server?

Offsite? No. Or depends on how you define it. We got backups and can
set up a replacement rather quickly when the current server goes AWOL,
however all those machines are at the same hosting company, so when
that hosting company exhibits a problem, we're cut for that time.
(pootle-server would be at different location, but we couldn't access
our backups to set up a replacement)

We're currently in the process of defining an automatic fallover.

So again in clear words:
* We have backups, and have servers that can act as a stand in.
* Currently setting up those replacements would be a manual process
(copying from the backups to a replacement machine, and adjusting DNS
entries)
* We are not prepared for the hosting-company to have general network
failures (but they surely will be very fast to solve those anyway)
* Making an automatic fallback is already in the works.

from your other post:
The website is crucial that it doesnt go down, especially if upgrades to the server the site
is currently hosted on is needed

Oh, the machine has undergone several updates already that demanded a
reboot, but downtimes caued by a reboot are so short, it's not worth
taking action...

what would the LO/ TDF in general do if the site went
down?

choose one of the remaining servers as replacement, play in a current
backup on that server, change DNS entry.

ciao
Christian