On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 11:13 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:

Is there anyway to download the contents of the CMS "assets" folder?
FTP style?

I am trying to make an offline version of the
dvd.north-american.libreofficebox.org files/folders for editing and
testing offline before uploading the .htm files to the CMS server.  [the
original files were .html]

Hi Tim,

Once more - please stop trying to do this work off-line.

There is no version control with SilverStrype, or not much of one -
there is a draft state and a published state, both of those are at a
page level.

I can see, for instance, that you made changes to the dictionary page
since it was published yesterday, the page name is in green, but I can
not ask SilverStripe what has changed. One can accept or reject the
changed page as a whole, only.

When you work off-line the only real way for you to bring your work in
is to overwrite the entire page source - that's a problem with multiple
people working on the pages. In other words you take a snapshot and make
changes, meanwhile someone makes a change in the CMS system - now you
came back to upload your changed HTML - how will you handle the fact
that the file has changed since you took the snapshot.

Alright - that problem could be alleviated with some team discipline -
you take a page, tell everyone you did and no one touches the page until
you put it back.

HOWEVER - that has a tendency to break down over time..just personal
experience. More then that however is the real problem of bringing HTML
into the SilverStripe system that it just doesn't like to work with.

This last point is taking all the time right now and I've been working
through the issues - when this is done I do not want to have to do it
again - it is more then just having the correct path to linked files BTW
- there are just some constructs that SilverStripe does not use, they
are legal HTML and SilverStripe will display them but it can not edit
the page properly using the GUI when they are used.

This last point I know has been an issue - so you think you cant' edit
in the SilverStripe but the solution is not to keep doing what is
breaking the tool but to alter the HTML to conform to what SilverStripe
wants and then to use the CMS system to do further edits. At least until
you know what can be imported and what can not.

An example

The original HTML had lots of lines with the construct -

SilverStripe does not like this, it will keep it and display the file
properyly, but it can't edit that in the GUI so what I've been doing is
replacing that with:

Now SilverStripe is happy and can edit the formating using the GUI.

I noticed when I uploaded the updated French dictionary files, the CMS
browser upload system removed the "____" between the version number and
the date.  I have to edit the file names to correct that, since the
pages refer to the name with the underlines.  I noticed many other
uploaded files with no "_" in the names when they originally had them.

OK - on this I have real problems with that you are doing with the file
names - you are just making extra work IMO.

I would really like to see us only use the base file name and keep only
the latest copy of the file on the CMS directory - if the file needs to
be updated then do so, replace the file with the updated file, but keep
the same name - there is no need then to update the HTML pages - going
the route of renaming files as you are doing one must always go back and
update the actual HTML also, another area of possible failure in other
words.

//drew