Hi Florian, *;

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Marc Paré wrote on 2011-05-14 08.12:

What size and quality should they be taken?

Ideally, they should be available in high-quality PNG or JPG files,

high-quality screenshot and JPG is a contradiction in itself. JPG is
lossless, and especially for sharp color-switches like they are common
for a desktop-window it generates artifacts.

with a
size of 1600x or 1900x. Print magazines often ask for usable screenshot, and
the better the quality, the better it is for printing.

And this doesn't realy make sense to me either. The size of the
screenshot doesn't have an impact on the quality for printing. for
printing you need a high dpi, sure. But no matter whether you take a
screenshot of a 800x600 window, or a 1600x1050 window: the dpi of your
screen is the same.

So when you want to increase the dpi, you would have to scale down the
1600x1050 image, but then you would get unreadable text, as the
1600x1050 window would use the same fontsize as the non-downscaled
800x600 one.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding, so just providing one of the "goood
for printing/press" screenshots as a sample would help clear my
misunderstandings.

ciao
Christian