Hi Marc, *,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
Le 2011-02-14 08:51, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Marc Paré<marc@marcpare.com>  wrote:
Le 2011-02-14 08:37, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
[...]
And as written before: I think it is a bad idea to have regional
top-level domains, as while you need to do local/regional marketing
work, you should still keep track of the global marketing efforts,
closely work together with the groups of other regions, thus regional
marketing sub-groups make much more sense IMHO.

Maybe its just me, but I am just confused as to what you mean, sorry.

OK, simple words: The international sites <lang>.libreoffice.org are
for users speaking the language, not because people come from a
specific region.
Within <lang> there can be region specific content of course, as many
languages are specific to a certain region of the world.

But I'm against us, ca, uk and au subsites, as the content on all of
those would be english, the difference between those is too minor to
warrant a specific subsite.
The subsites are per language, not per country/region.

Do you
mean that it is a bad idea to have, for example, us.libreoffice.org site,
because we (North Americans), even though we need to work on our US
marketing efforts we should still keep track of global marketing work --

Yes. Because you write yourself: You want it for marketing. None of
the subsites is for marketing only. but all are for information about
the whole office, for users of the corresponding language.

I'd have no problem with having dedicated parts of the site dedicated
to a region, but no complete subsites, as (I mention it again): the
language is the same.

And the most important part: us, ca, uk, ... won't work. ca is
catalan, not canada, uk is ukrainian, not Great Britain --- so this
alone is reason enough for me to not approve a subsite like this.

Having www.libreoffice.org/regions/[us,ca,...] or something similar
however would perfectly fine with me.

But definitely not [us,uk,ca,...].libreoffice.org
(unless someone wants to setup a Catalan or Ukrainian NL-project, but
not when it means United Kingdom or Canada)

ciao
Christian