On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM, David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> wrote:
Hi Narayan, Michael :-)
The most recent SC meeting re-stated the same openess to that *in the
mid-term future*. But it was clearly desired to put an end to what has
become a disruptive argument backed up by what has been, IMHO,
disruptive disinformation about the SC's stance, in a quest to
"bulldoze" the adoption through.

You are incorrect. The development and discussions were as a result of
the official SC statement to the website mailing list:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.website/592

There is no "bulldozing", simply the community trying to build a better future.

In reality, there is a lot of higher priority work to be done.

I totally agree. The only reason people are (were) working on Drupal
was that Christian stated that people were already organised to
implement Silverstripe very quickly, which turned out to be not
factual.
Once we realised that Christian's team was non-existant we offered to
help but were turned down:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Regroup-and-further-development-of-the-website-s-td2191011.html

If you guys can show some patience and forebearing in your desires, I
think you will have every fair opportunity to fulfill your goal of
Drupal adoption at a future date - if you can concretely demonstrate
that it is a better choice and truly advantageous for the community,
and if you follow the procedures and channels that will be implemented
for such purposes. But now is not the right time.

Meanwhile, if you are truly interested in getting involved in the
project's Web communications, I invite you both to work with me on the
subject, and to actually constructively contribute ideas, time and
written material as part of a team that has been placed, *as an
interim thing*, under my coordination and management.

This is a very different message than you were sending the website
team last week. I respect the work you have put into the Silverstripe
site after Christian dropped the ball, however without discussion,
consultation and coordination within the mailing list as the initial
driver for community leadership and coordination, I believe you
will/have alienated many of the existing members who have been putting
their time into the project already.

The SC assigning "Leaders" rather than a grass roots effort is no way
to inspire the community to reach new heights.

If you can prove that you truly have the project's real interests at
heart, and that there is a genuine meritocratic justification, you
(and anyone else) have every chance of becoming the website content
lead in my stead, with my full support and cooperation, if there is an
official decision in that respect by the SC.

Case and point. Why does the SC decide our leaders, this is an open
community, we should decide.

We can arrange a website content team confcall at an early date and start work.

The only condition are that:

Why would you put conditions on what an open community can talk about!?!

- We have to stop talking about Drupal at this time, and only think of
content and information for the LibreOffice and TDF community on
libreoffice.org.

- We have to commit to the governance laid down in the Community
Bylaws, and be supportive of the SC in *progressively* working towards
their implementation within a reasonable timeframe. In the design of
the bylaws, there are mechanisms for bringing about change in a fair
and viable manner. So, if there are things in them that displease you
now, you *will* have the opportunity to work towards change in them in
the future.

Please, guys, put Drupal out of your mind for the CMS for *at least*
6-9 months - indeed, there are perfectly rational reasons for deciding
to stay with SilverStripe as CMS quite far into the future. Maybe it
would be a good idea to think laterally and broach the subject of
Drupal-powered *forums* with the SC, instead?

The website team is responsible for website infrastructure, not the
SC. Decisions within the website team must be respected by the SC if
they are adequately discussed, negotiated and agreed upon.
Why would we visit the SC for permission to improve our area of
responsibility and expertise?

Meanwhile, remember that there is an opportunity to take part in
exciting and interesting mass media communications work.

What do you say? :-) I am very keen to work with you, hear your
imaginative ideas, and see fruitful results on our
SilverStripe-powered CMS, libreoffice.org. :-)

We have offered, and I am sure the offer will remain open. However a
discussion about leadership structure and responsibilities needs to
occur within the website mailing list. Not at the SC.

I personally reject the leadership structure that the SC has dictated
to us until a discussion has occurred with the website mailing list
members and community legitimacy is given to the leaders and the
project.

Michael Wheatland