Hi Christian,

That there has not been much content on the site surely is not the
fault of silverstripe. I'm very disappointed about this as well, but
the reason is that almost nobody did provide content to put up on the site.

Frankly I don't understand why the site should have almost no content (this has nothing to do with
CMS).
Why does it not have blogs, wiki and forum? (they get filled up by visitors; not content-writers.)
Why does it not have marketing pages? (there are not left to casual contributors.)

In fact, the SC should have used the sticky threads in forum to convey roadmaps and
progress-reports to visitors.
Note that each type of stakeholders (coders, documenters, website-makers, LibO-users) should have
their own forums.
Therefore SC can post separately customized messages for each target segment.

The website also can have static pages such as FAQ created by SC.

That would remove any confusion in people's mind, and better attract the contributors.

I haven't seen anything worse than mail lists (especially for latecomers).
Despite wading through hundreds of posts, all they get is various conflicting opinions (not
official decisions).

One such example is whether we will migrate to Drupal at all.
Everyone has an opinion. But what's the official stand?

Such far-reaching issues can be explained through FAQ or sticky posts at forum.
Then the authors and contributors would know whether spending effort after Drupal is worthwhile.

THIS IS TERRIBLE.

****

Can SilverStripe or Drupal meet these needs better?
I have not seen any study put on line.

Has been done in the past. Executive summary "Silverstripe: Does it
out of the box, drupal has so many modules, so surely it can do the
same and more and has a bigger fanbase/more users worldwide" However
the drupal demonstration sites sucked badly at the time, thus SC did
vote for going live with Silverstripe.

BTW by pure chance I came across this page:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Evaluation_of_CMS_Platforms#Preconditions_to_go_live_with_one_of_the_CMS

IMHO the feature-comparison is readily available at CMS matrix website (www.cmsmatrix.org).

So this exercise was not necessary.

What we need is a collection of all stakeholders' needs. I posted a sample a few posts ago.
The current IA does not cater to many of those needs.
(This has nothing to do with CMS, but the IA design per se.)

-Narayan