Hi Michael(s), all!!

Am Donnerstag, den 18.11.2010, 01:50 +0930 schrieb Michael Wheatland:
Marc,
I disagree with Michael's assessment that the code development team has been
overlooked. There already is a placeholder for the code development team
under the 'contribute' heading. [...]

I think we come back to an old issue of the project - Michael and myself
discussed that some time ago.

My point-of-view: We (in terms of OOo) have been rather large. Given a
certain size, it gets more and more important that we get high quality
contributions for certain topics. That means, that also the contributors
get more and more specialized. Thus (maybe oversimplified), I rate all
the contributions equally - whether it be Code, Artwork, ... Something
we can also see in the current bylaws draft [1].

Personally, I am for a heading like "contribute" or even "community".

Is there any need to raise the code dev team above all others within the
community, as is being suggested? Would having a link on the main product
information page to code development really bring about more code being
created compared to the team page being located inside the normal community
structure?

Let's say, the "Development" tag might highlight that we are interested
in contributions - we (somehow) lacked for a long time. But given the
fact, that the "Develop" might primarily target individuals (and maybe
not companies that might be interested to get involved), the most
attractiveness is created by "activity". So - from my point-of-view - it
would be great to see the activity within the community (speaking for
all, but also for the developers).

To state that (somehow rhetorical) question: How to show this activity?
For example, some time ago, I closely followed the Gnome Planet.
Sometimes pretty technical posts, but it clearly showed who worked on
what. It was easy to understand what to expect in the next version ...
and it was clear what kind of difficulties hackers do experience. This
may have had much more impact than the "Develop" link :-)

Mmh, sorry for hi-jacking your thread ... but I do think that this would
be far more important. And having a more general (so to speak) "heading"
underlines the community bylaws that get drafted at the moment (again,
oversimplified).

[...]
What are people's thoughts?

See above ;-)