Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields

Den fre 31 juli 2020 kl 20:57 skrev John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net>:

> For many years my filing has used a kind of 'modified-ISO' 12-digit
> date/time pattern: YYYY-MMDD-HHmm. Advantages are that it is compact,
> easily read, sorts and is a valid filename string in all OS.
>
> Writer has very flexible field formats, giving the option to
> format Date fields as YYYY-MMDD, Time fields as HHmm, and either Date or
> Time fields as YYYY-MMDD-HHmm -- so it has everything I want, with complete
> flexibility to format as needed.
>
> Calc appears to be not flexible, but seems to use strict ISO
> formatting for Date (YYYY-MM-DD) and Time (HH:mm:ss) fields. /Within
> cells/, of course, there is flexibility to format Date and Time as desired.
>
> Draw also appears to be not flexible, but uses /different/
> formatting for Date (MM/DD/YYYY) and Time (HH:mm:ss AM|PM). This seems to
> be the worst of all possible choices, because the formats are neither
> strict ISO nor as I would like.

Which language settings do you have? I'm Swedish and in draw I can choose
between the following date formats when inserting a date field:
YYYY-DD-MM (default)
DD MMMM YYYY
YY-DD-MM
DD MMM YYYY
NN "den" D MMM YY
NNNND MMMM YYYY

When inserting a time field I have the following options:
HH:mm:ss (default)
HH:mm
HH:mm:ss,00
HH:mm AM/PM
HH:mm:ss AM/PM
HH:mm:ss,00 AM/PM

It's not total freedom, but at least the ISO formats are there.

I agree though that it's strange that fields don't work the same over the
whole suite. Seems like someone unnecessarily re-invented the wheel, and
did that more than once…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg