On 2020/06/18 16:18, Chris Dunn wrote:
I'm posting this here because I don't believe it is a bug, but something
weird that has happened to LibreOffice on my system.
I'm desperate to get LO running again and would appreciate any suggestions.

Back up everything in your Document directory.

If you have added an extensive collection of clip-art, colour palettes,
templates, wordbooks, NGrams, etc. back up your user directory, and the
appropriate parts of /opt/libreoffice/share
(Palette, Gallery, classification, images, template are the most likely
suspects from opt/libreoffice/share.)
(Database, gallery are the most likely suspects from /libreoffice/4/user/.)

Delete the LibreOffice directory ( Probably opt/libreoffice )
Delete ~/.config/libreoffice

From the commandline run:
sudo apt-get remove LibreOffice
sudo apt-get purge LibreOffice
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get autoremove

What these commands do

* sudo apt-get remove LibreOffice
This removes the binary files associated with LibreOffice

* sudo apt-get purge LibreOffice
This removed the package files and the configuration files associated
with LibreOffice

* sudo apt-get clean
This clears out the local repository of retrieved package files

* sudo apt-get autoclean
This removes retrieved packages files from the local repository, if they
can no longer be downloaded.

* sudo apt-get check
This updates the package cache, looking for broken dependencies

* sudo apt-get autoremove
This automatically removes packages that were installed, because other
packages depended upon them, but they are no longer needed.

Basically, what you are doing with this sequence of commands, is
clearing out your local repository of anything related to LibreOffice,
and then removing any trace of LibreOffice from your system.

Now, once you are sure that LibreOffice is nowhere on your system.

Download the LibreOffice binaries from
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/?type=deb-x86_64&version=6.4.4&lang=en-US
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/6.4.4/deb/x86_64/LibreOffice_6.4.4_Linux_x86-64_deb_helppack_en-US.tar.gz
Adjust the language, if you do not use US English.
Adjust the binaries, if you are on a 32 bit Debian system.
If you don't want offline help, you can skip the second download.

unzip the archives
I usually move the DEB for help and the language into the folder for the
US-English version.
Change into the folder created by the zip file
cd DEB
sudo pckg -i *

cd DEB moves you into the DEB sub-folder

sudo pckg -i *
This is installs LibreOffice on your system.

You'll have to reconfigure LibreOffice
">Tools >Options" etc.  This is where you customize some of the
internals. Language, grammar checking, chart colours, etc.
">Tools >Customize" etc. This is where you customize the menu and
keystroke settings.
">Tools >Extension Manager".  This is where to install the extensions.
You will need to reinstall your extensions.

###

Note: I make a lot of changes to LibreOffice defaults, and add a number
of extensions.  Consequently, your system might have the files in
different place, and might not have everything I listed as likely
suspects.
I'm also assuming that if you use NGrams, TMX, word2vec, and similar
obscure word-checking tools, you've got those files archived elsewhere.
If you haven't backed them up, you really need to do so.

jonathon