[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-users] full date string to date
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] full date string to date
- From: Brian Barker <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 03:44:32 +0000
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: James Lockie <email@example.com>
At 14:39 30/12/2019 -0500, James Lockie wrote:
I had a spreadsheet with dates that I think somehow got converted to text. I tried pasting it as plain text with detecting special numbers and I tried setting the column to a date format but it still seems to come out as text. 'Wed, Jan 2, 2020'
Dates are sensitive to language and locale, so no guarantees, but ...; you should be able to convert your data using the spreadsheet program's own facilities. Try this:
o Suppose your date data is in column A. Select the range (or column) and go to Data | Text to Columns... . Under Separator options, tick Comma, Space, and Merge delimiters. OK. You now have the four parts of your dates separately in columns A, B, C, and D.
o In the first row of your data in a new column, enter (for, say, row 1)
- and fill down the column. Note the jumbled order of the parameters, so what is offered to the DATEVALUE() function is three parts of your date concatenated as "2Jan2020".
o Format the values in the new column as desired, perhaps as
NN, MMM D, YYYY
You can copy the resulting values back over the originals if you wish - or elsewhere, of course - using Paste Special with Formulae unticked.
Oh, and by the way, unless something very strange is about to happen, I'm expecting 2 January 2020 to be a Thursday, not a Wednesday!
I trust this helps.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
|[libreoffice-users] full date string to date||James <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] full date string to date
- Next by Date: [libreoffice-users] Please take me off this list
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-users] full date string to date
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-users] Please take me off this list