Re: [libreoffice-users] Advice needed on reporting a bug

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019, Tom Williams wrote:

> Hi!  I have a Word document that I downloaded from an online Sharepoint
> site that appears mis-formatted in LibreOffice Writer 6.2.7.1 on Ubuntu
> 19.04 Linux.   It appears as if the page breaks are off.   In any event,
> the document is a legal document so I'm not willing to post the document
> "as is" in a bug report, if I end up filing one.
>
> What would be a good alternative to preserve the information that shows
> the formatting issues but not include the other legal information, in
> the document?
>
> Thanks in advance!

One possibility is to replace all characters by something else. For
example, in Find & Replace, turn on 'Regular expressions' (under
'Other options') and replace '[a-z]' by 'x'.

When you say 'the page breaks are off', do you mean that the page
breaks occur in different places? Are they off by only a little? Maybe
it's because the document uses a font that your system doesn't have so
the font is being replaced by a font with slightly different font
metrics?

I believe that sometimes the formatting won't be quite the same even
between different versions of Word, much less between Word and another
word processor.

- Robert