On 12/27/10 00:01, Craig A. Eddy wrote:
Just a note from a Perpetual n00bie (who's written in, here, for help in
getting LO installed):

I've used prepackaged rpms years ago when I was running Red Hat.  I've
used prepackaged debs through Synaptic with Ubuntu and now Debian.  I've
had occasion to want to install something for which packages didn't
exist (and know the value of having packages that can be uninstalled
cleanly).  I've even got one program that I have to use config and make
(though I had to be taught how to do it).  Most recently I had to be
taught to use dpkg -i *.deb to install LO.

Though I call myself a perpetual n00bie, the reality is that I simply
don't have the knowledge to do things that others consider easy or basic
unless I'm taught.  I don't mind learning new things - even at my
advanced age of 65 (you really CAN teach old dogs new tricks, but
they've got to want to learn).  Not everybody is like me.  Not everybody
wants to learn or has the ability to learn (one has to learn how to
learn, really).

And in some cases I've helped others, so I understand the problems they
have.  I was part of an Ubuntu LoCo for a few years, and helped with
installations and other problems where I could.  Certainly, for those
distributions and operating systems that can and do provide prepackaged
versions of a program, using such takes care of those less fortunate
than I and makes it possible for them to enjoy a certain independence
and sense of accomplishment.  But for others some method needs to be
found to make it easier, and I would encourage LO to provide such a
script for those distributions.

Craig
Tyche
I do like your points [all of the posts of this thread] about ease of
install and uninstall.

I also use Ubuntu and due to 3 strokes I have found it difficult
to do things that others find easy.  It would be nice to have LINUX
software easy to install like Windows' .exe file installation.  That is
one of the sticking points for people to move over to LINUX from
using Windows based systems since Win 95 days.

I do thank people hear for the instructions shown in earlier posts
on how to install LO on Ubuntu.  Though OOo [not the Go-oo version
on the repository] is my default office suite, I have LO installed as
well so I can use it from time to time and see how well it works for me.

It took time to get friends and former clients to run OOo and as soon
as LO goes from a RC version to a final release version, I can start
looking at options to use to have those OOo users to look at LO for
their office suite needs.  I just have to get the reasons to use this
fork of OOo instead of OOo or the other forks clear in my own head
first.

Now back to the tread topic:
I wish there was a simpler way to install LO on Ubuntu, but the
issue of desktop menu integration is the problem with that.  At least
it is still a simple .exe install for Windows, unless that has changed
since I rarely use Windows anymore and I only have a laptop running
it.

Again Thanks everyone for the help here.
Tim L. - retired from the computer field with 2 degrees in programming
and one in networking, but lost most if that knowledge with my last
2 strokes and had to "retire" from working due to that problem.