@Jean-Francois.

Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote
#2 is on its way (and already implemented in the v.1.5 I've got here).

For your suggestion #1, I can't find any API entry that would help
creating the RGB2HSV values. I guess I've overlooked something...
Can you give any pointer here?

Hmm, you may have made a wrong turn here, likely my fault for not responding
sooner--sorry!

I just  opened the Macro in palettemaker_v1_1_0_0_en-2.ods and noticed
you're attempting a conversion of RGB2HSL ('L' luminance), we don't use
those values in the LibreOffice "Color Picker".

 We do use HSL values, but  just in a few places when we are adjusting
colors for the UI, or in image editing.

For palette work the values are HSV -- 'V' value  (also known as HSB -- 'B'
brightness )  a much simpler algorithm to implement which LibO does in
bcolortools [1], as used by the "Color Picker" to during color space
conversions in the GUI [2].

The other thing I noticed--after enabling macros, if I import a large color
palette for editing the sheet holding the palette gives the count of colors
in the palette then truncates the sheet at 1100 colors.  Some folks like
really large palettes--is there a hard limit preventing the sheet from going
larger?

=-ref-=
[1]
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/basegfx/source/color/bcolortools.cxx?r=7ceee0f1#103