Hi :)
LibreOffice is not like most programs.  It has a large core program with a
few tiny modules / satellites / add-ons / plug-ins / apps that kinda
plug-in to that core.  Removing one or a handful of those modules does very
little to affect the size or complexity of LibreOffice.  At least that is
how i understand it to be.

There is always Abiword or Google-docs.

Abiword focuses on beinga word-processor without having to integrate with
other programs.  It should be smaller, lighter and faster but i've not used
it in the last decade or so.

The only functionality missing from Abiword was that i couldn't make it
default to using MS formats.  Quite ironic since i now rarely use MS
formats - because they are incompatible between different versions of MS
Office = with new versions of MS Office struggling to open older files that
use their format.

As for using Linux i used to be a fairly normal "point and click" user
until after i had used "gnu and linux" for about a year.  In that first
year i spent most of my time still using Windows with only occasional
forays into Linux.  Then i started using Firefox, OpenOffice and other
things on Windows too - and then i found a game on Linux that wouldn't work
on Windows.  That was when my migration to Linux got faster and faster.  So
it took me a couple of years of really not pushing myself before i found
i'd kinda accidentally stumbled into using Linux without working at it
much.

I'm not sure what migration route i'd recommend for a blind user.  Perhaps
using a simple virtual machine such as Virtualbox = it's not as scary as it
sound!  It's just a program you can install in Windows and when you
double-click on it the program runs in a window which you can just close to
stop the virtual-machine.

Another route is to install Ubuntu inside Windows as though it was just
another program.  Unlike other distros (Mint, Red-hat, Open-Suse etc) the
Ubuntu people make a "Wubi installer" on their installer Dvd and the Wubi
can be installed on Windows.  So maybe just stick an Ubuntu Dvd or
Usb-stick in and see what options it gives you.

Actually "Puppy Linux" does something similar but although it's good on
low-spec or older systems it's much less typical of linux distros and it's
not so easy to migrate to other distros

That is just my own opinion but it's too the best of my limited knowledge
about these things.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 24 February 2018 at 18:37, Robert Großkopf <robert@familiegrosskopf.de>