You are right Michel, but is simpler for other people to send pdf files (using PdfCreator for example) than installing other software like LibreOffice. In many cases company policy prevent users to install software not approved from the IT office... If there are some difficult with many collegues... with suppliers or customers is a "mission impossible" ;-) Doc (and other proprietary file format) is the evil... because if your sender use Word 2007 and you have Word 2000... you need to upgrade your software or you are unable to read the document. It's obvious... but not for all the people. Require odf files from your senders is very very difficult... but it would be the best solution