Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Schema in Calc

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Paul wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:45:20 +0200
> Alex Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Le 31/07/2014 00:08, Paul a écrit :
> > > Just out of interest, why would a db driver come into play? This is
> > > a spreadsheet we're talking about.
> > >
> > > The mention of db schema was merely to ask why Calc doesn't have
> > > something like it.
> > >

> > How else would one obtain the schema in the first place ?
>
> I believe one of us is misunderstanding things. My understanding is
> that the OP didn't actually want a database schema, he just wanted
> something similar for normal spreadsheets.

Actually, the OP (me) started with Calc database because changes are
easy. Changes are still under way (field names, new fields, etc.), so
I'm using Base to access Calc, which gives me queries.

The next step is a real db, but I'm still sorting that out. I'm not
interested in RAM-resident, embedded for reasons pointed out in this
thread. As the db requirements become more clear (size, number of
users, structure), I'll decide. Could it be a future version of Base?
Possibly, depending on how it progresses over the rest of the year. I'm
looking for robust, good performance, reliable, and stright forward
setup (not necessarly easy, but not requiring a db phd).

Dave,
--
dave boland
dboland9@fastmail.fm