Good points - but separate projects allows for more experimentation.

Sorry, I'm one of the crazies. I read books on Evolution, and try to apply
the principles that scientists are using to determine how homo sapiens
sapiens and other species evolved, to how software is evolving. One of the
benefits of having groups of small islands which are close enough for
mammalian species to manage to cross from island to island is that you'll
get different developments on each island. The individuals who manage the
crossing are often among the fittest, and carry excellent genes over to the
next island. If there's something they can breed with, it improves the
species on that island. If there isn't, they breed, and push out a weaker
species from a niche on that island.

In this case Libre Office is one island. Open Office is another. Ideas and
concepts are the species - like the ribbon toolbar from the Microsoft Office
Island which either hasn't managed to swim to another island yet, or hasn't
managed to survive if it has, unlike the ODF file format, which has swum to
several islands, and survived quite well.

That's why you want lots of islands (projects) so that there's more
evolutionary options (experimentation with ideas and concepts about how
software should work).

Wayne