Il 14/07/2011 11:44, Stefano Fraccaro ha scritto:
Hi Marcello

Hi

Il 14/07/2011 11.20, Marcello Romani ha scritto:
OOo/LibO has options to talk to e-mail programs.
IMHO adding yet another (almos unrelated) program to an already huge
office suite would be a bad move. I guess then people would "gravitate
back to MS" because either: a) OOo is too "heavy" or b) they don't
like the bundled e-mail client.

We use both MSO and LibO... MSO in most cases is "preferred" because it
start faster. We have also some programs that generate doc documents

Yes, MSO has faster startup times also IME, at least on windows. On Ubuntu 10.04 I must say that the provided OOo takes a little time when first started after a reboot, but from then on, given sufficient memory (I have 2.5GB) it starts almost instantly.

with a collage process. In this case we should convert all procedures
for the odt. The sysadmin mantra say: "is working? don't touch it !" ...
I introduced a lot of open source software in the company with good
results :) but in some fields there is much resistance to change
(understandable)

When MSO is part of a custom software infrastructure it's almost impossible to remove unless the whole system is re-designed (and oftern re-implemented). Same for Access (I talk from experience...) :-(

Besides, I can't see why the lack of full e-mail functionality in OOo
is keeping one tied with Microsoft products. Just install Thunderbird
or Evolution and off you go.
Perhaps the question is "how can I have all the features that MS
Outlook offers with free/libre programs ?".
Just as an example, Mozilla Thunderbird + Lightning gives you e-mail,
calendar, alarms, periodic reminders, todo-lists ("activities"). You
can have multiple calendars, too, including remote ones.

Many users have changed Outlook 2000 with Thunderbird 3.1.x ... and now
are happy TB users :)

IMHO TB is far superioro to Outlook 2K. Don't know about 2K3 or newer versions, though.
It shurely beats OUtlook on price vs. functionality! :-)

Stefano

--
Marcello Romani