________________________________
From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Thu, 26 May, 2011 3:08:16
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: upgrade path?

On 05/25/2011 06:15 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
On 05/25/2011 08:30 PM, NoOp wrote:
On 05/25/2011 03:21 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
Tom Davies wrote (25-05-11 23:53)
Lol.
Lol too

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
Release cycle of 6 months, does mean in our case approximately 6-7
releases a year.

No. It means the "final" releases are (I suspect) in sync with Ubuntu
releases:

<quote>
Synchronizing our time based release schedule with the wider Free
Software ecosystem also has huge advantages, by getting our new
features, out to users as quickly as possible - with a minimum of
distribution cycle lag. In consequence, we will aim at six monthly
releases, and over time nudge them to align well with the March /
September norms.
</quote>

Seems to indicate that LO are bending over to Ubuntu/<possibly other
distro>  release schedules. Let's see... Ubuntu releases are April (hence
the LO March time) and October (hence the LO September time)...

This was quite apparent with the LO 3.3.2 "release" in sync with Ubuntu
Natty 11.04 with considerable breakage/bugs still in LO 3.3. Please tell
me that I'm wrong.
well 3.4 is scheduled to be out around June 1st.  We are on RC2 right now.
That is my opinion - what is yours?

My opinion is that you missed my point(s) entirely.

Hi :)
Actually there were quite a few distro's that had scheduled their new release
since January 25th including some that had not had a new release for 'years'

Fedora - likes to be experimental and ground-breaking
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LibreOffice#Scope
"LibreOffice has released its final release of 3.3.0. There will be an
officially released version before 05/10/2011 - the intended release date of
Fedora 15." i think that date is mm/dd/yyyy.

Debian (stable branch) - tries to be very stable and is very reluctant to try
anything new
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian
Released their stable "Sid" 2011/02/06 where LO 3.3.0 was released 2011/01/25 so
our devs got it out there only a couple of weeks before their release which
wasn't quite enough time.  Oddly even the more recent unstable branch, released
2011/05/26, still has OOo.

Pardus -  funded and developed by the Scientific & Technological Research
Council of Turkey
One of the first to include LibreOffice.  Last released 2011/01/20.  LO 3.3.0
was only a week later but they couldn't delay.

Mandriva released 2011/05/25 but still with OOo
Mageia released it's rc1 2011/05/17 with LO

Suse released 2011/05/25 with OOo but it's "factory" release, 2011/05/25, has LO

Mepis released 2011/05/05 with LO and sometimes goes a few years between
releases.

It's not the whole story because LO is in many of those repos but that relies on
fairly expert users caring enough about which Office Suite they use.  Being
included in the default install of distros gets the name and logo out there
where average or low-level users see it.

Ubuntu and it's 'clones' (such as Mint??) tend to ship with LibreOffice.  Also
their release dates don't keep slipping as other distros do.  Releasing 6monthly
means that people's interest keeps simmering in news articles and discussions.
Distros are more likely to mention which release of LO is included or which
additional functionality has been added.

Regards from
Tom :)