You can activate the footer in the page style. If you then go in the
footer area and insert the page number where you want it (there are
also some tab stops on the left, in the middle, and on the right of the
page which can help you position your page number easily).

As far as having to change every chapter (document), I am assuming you
used master and sub-documents. I am unfortunately not really familiar
with how to use them so I can't help you much on that front. It would
make sense that if you were to enable the footer while in the master
document it would enable it in all chapters, but I really don not know.

I hope this helps.
Rémy.