On Wed, 2023-07-12 at 11:41 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:09:29 +0200
hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:

Hello hw,

Why can't that happen automatically when loading a file, or at
least

IME 'optimal width' results in a cell that is too wide.

Then don't use this function.

  Consequently,
for my use case, a sheet that could otherwise be printed on one piece
of
paper ends up requiring two, or more.

Who still prints stuff? :)

Point is;  Uses for all of us differ.  Your use case differs from
mine.

right

Satisfying your itch may well upset other users' work methodology.

How would it break someones methodology to right or middle click on the
empty field which currently does nothing?  If someone feels the need to
do that without something happening I can as well argue that nothing
must happen no matter where they click because something happening
could interrupt them when they click.

As to setting optimal width when opening a file, it would of course
have to be an option that needs to be enabled first (for different
types of files).

Nothing of I suggest would upset or break or interrupt anything.

In any case, the 'box' at top left corner of each sheet isn't, in
fact,
a box at all  - it's an artifact of the column and row markers.
Nothing
more.

That's not true, it selects the whole sheet when you left click it.  If
were merely an artifact, it would do nothing.

It is actually the most-used functionality when working with

By you.  I never use it.  It's something that's usually done once per
sheet, IME, if at all.  "Fit and forget", if you will.

Yes, by me and probably by a lot of other users.  You would never need
to use it.

However, my original question is how I could accomplish such
functionality, like writing a macro to do it.  Are there commands or
functions or something in libreoffice BASIC (or python) that select the
whole sheet and set the optimal column width?  I haven't found anything
like that yet.  Yet it's basically all that needs to happen, so how
hard can it be?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about this kind of programming could
give some hints.