Thanks, Remy. I'm very familiar with that use of conditional text. [My wife is also a teacher, and
also depends on the LO-user in the house to help when things get moderately complex. ;-) ]

The problem comes not when I can specify a switch (like "User" == "Teacher" or "Student"), but when merging external
data -- where a field may be either empty or instantiated -- to control a section of conditional text. Is there some way to do "IF-EXISTS"
or "IF-BLANK" test on a field?

I appreciate your response,
John