Hi Michael,

Sorry, I should have given an example:
Suppose there is a daily or weekly report, which includes a database query of birthday(s) for that
report period. If so, the birthday-relevant text or table is included, with the specific birthdays;
otherwise, no such text or table.

So the generalization is that you have a class -- say, birthdays -- and the test is whether you
have any instances of that class for the period (or other domain) of interest. Writer makes it easy
to conditionally hide or reveal a section of text, but not (AFAIK) to include as a condition
whether a field is instantiated or empty.

The example you give is extremely interesting. I would not have thought of it, if only because it
requires coordination of Calc and Writer [which I have not thought about how to do].  But the
biggest essential difference is one that you identify -- keeping the 'conditions' outside the
document itself -- where my initial premise was (and I think remains) to use Writer's
conditional-text features within the Writer document.

Your example is a great one to study (and to think about how you coordinate Calc and Writer), but I
think that Writer alone can do this job [as WordPerfect does] if there is a way to implement the
condition that a field is either empty or filled/instantiated.  Moreover, that approach (rather
than keeping the conditional text outside the document) allows the use of Writer's rich
conditional-text features.  The one feature that I'm trying to reproduce is WordPerfect's ability
to test whether any field of merged data is empty or instantiated, and use that test to
conditionally hide or reveal a section of text.

Thanks for your reply,
John