Michael, thanks for the update. I was able to fix a very similar subscript
problem.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020, 17:20 Michael D. Setzer II, <msetzerii@gmail.com>
wrote:

Date sent:              Wed, 16 Dec 2020 08:49:01 +0100
From:                   Informatique
<informatique@billard-francois-marie.eu>
To:                     users@global.libreoffice.org
Subject:                Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc diagrams/figures

hello,
for these problems, i think that LO is not the best tools for scientific
diagram.
Perhaps using a tool as GnuPlot will be better.
http://www.gnuplot.info/
François-Marie BILLARD

Did some messages directly with him that included images of what he
was doing. Problem was with labels and not the actual diagrams.

The labels where entered using the subscript or superscript ctrl keys, but
when the graphs were showing, the sub and super options were gone,
and the labels showed as regular characters. Found that if the sub/super
characters were entered as unicode ctrl-shift-u then they would stay
correctly. Unfortunately, not all characters have unicode for sub/super,
but many do. Would have thought the unicode would have the 26 letters
upper and lower case with both sub/super characters. Total of 104
characters. But some don't seem to exist.

The images he sent made it clear on what his issue was.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:55:00 +0100