On 03/08/2020 00:05, Michael H wrote:
In order to see better what's going on , you can save the file as .fodt and
search for the name of the field that shows up in the header in a plain
text editor and pay attention,looking especially for an extra set variable
tag around the content that appears on page 36.

I had looked at the .fodt file in a plain text editor and did find where the chapter name field had
been set in the right hand editor up in the definition areas.  But when it came to trying to spot a
change in tagging around the p36 / p37 interface in the body, I couldn't spot anything of help to
explain my trouble.

What did impress me though was the terrible amount of stuff stored in the LO Writer file that is
not relevant to the actual document. I was reminded of a problem I had when I upgraded the LO suite
a few years' back. At that time, Writer seemed to think I was working in Spanish language when I
have never used Spanish and had specifically selected the UK English version to download.

In the xml stuff of my problem file, near the top were two lines defining the language as Spanish.
This must surely be a relic of some LO developer's work still hanging around in template
definitions.

There were also several page definitions of 8.5" x 11" (US Letter size) and none of the page styles
I used in that document were of that size.

A single sentence written in a single font style appears with three sets of <span> tags referring
to 3 different text styles. When looking up to see what is the difference in these text style
definitions, the only difference is in the officeooo:rsid number, whatever that is. The context makes me
guess that it refers to different flavours of the English language.

I was hoping to pass on the file for others to look at but it has now been messed around with so
much that it would be a waste of everybody's time. Thanks to all those who offered to help.

Philip