Hi Girvin,

On 2020-08-01 17:48, Girvin Herr wrote:

... here is another solution, manipulating the TOC format, which I use some times:

1. Create a new style, say "Dedication", and assign this style to the
    text you want hidden in the document body (i.e. the dedication
    heading). You can then make the style hidden. This is under Font
    Effects in the Paragraph Style window and at the bottom of the left
    column.

Yes, I think that is close to what Luuk proposed, except that he hid "Dedication:" by making the
font color white rather than using the Hidden attribute (prompting my question in that regard) ...

2. Edit the TOC, and assign the style "Dedication" to, say, Level 10.
    To do this, under the Index/Table tab, check Additional Styles and
    the ellipses button [...]. In the popup, select the Dedication style
    on the left and then using the >> button, move it to level 10 on the
    right and click OK.

... and here you have done what I would have done: make the "Dedication" style explicitly part of
the hierarchy. But Luuk (if I understood correctly) did not do that (which is what prompted my other question
to him).

3. Now under the Entries tab, select Level 10 and delete everything to
    the left of the "T" in the Structure format line. Then in the text
    block before the T, add "Dedication" (no quotes). This is needed
    because hiding the text in the Dedication paragraph style propagates
    to the Contents style in the TOC and it is hidden in the TOC as
    well. This is a sledge hammer approach and the two texts need to
    match, or maybe not, as you wish.

This may be the reason for using White font color rather than the Hidden attribute...

4. Then under the Styles tab, select the Paragraph Style you want to
    use for the Level 10 TOC line (do not select Dedication!), usually a
    Contents style.

... and this is a standard part of TOC setup.

Thanks for explaining in such detail. As I said, I think it is close to what Luuk proposed, except that in step 2 you do what I
would do to establish the indexing reference (if using "Additional styles" indexing), and I still don't see how Luuk
did it.  Did you see what Michael H proposed, using "Index marks" rather than "Additional styles"? That seems
the cleanest way to do this.

Kind regards,
John