On 2020-07-21 09:09, Michael H wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:18 AM John Kaufmann wrote:
You sent me to do something I should have done before asking the question:
examine a hex dump of an ODT content.xml file.  I see what you mean about
"no codes": A paragraph is just a text string between XML bounds <text:p
...> and </text:p>, and a line break (inside the paragraph bounds) is just
<text:line-break/>. Sorry; I should have done that sooner, rather than rely
on a different paradigm that once worked for me.

Much simpler than using a hex editor:

1. rename the .odt to .zip and use a zip archive manager.  you want to look
in content.xml

2. save the file as an .fodt (its the same file in open text.) view that
with a plain text editor. This works great unless you have a lot of images
in it. textified images are too much of a good thing.

That is in essence what I did: look at a presentation of the file codes, using a text editor with
hex sidebar. Thanks, Michael.

-john