On 2020-06-11 17:32, John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:31:39 +0100
Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com> dijo:

At 21:06 10/06/2020 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
I have a graphic on a page in Writer. [...] I have aligned it left
and set contour to wrap right so that the text will flow down on the
right of the graphic. This works, but the text is smashed into the
side of the graphic.

If you go to the Wrap tab of the Image dialogue (Format | Image |
Properties | Wrap or right-click | Properties | Wrap), do you not see
Spacing? Increase Right to some suitable positive value.

Aha! A completely different way to solve the problem. The Edit Contour
option still does not work - can't select or do anything. But this
solution worked, and probably a lot easier than trying to edit the
contour. I had the Properties window open numerous times, but
completely missed the Wrap tab.

:-) Maybe the fact that it seems to be "a completely different way" is a problem: Actually, what
Brian said was what I meant:
I have a graphic on a page in Writer. The graphic is about 4cm wide
and about 10cm high, so I have aligned it left and set contour to
wrap right so that the text will flow down on the right of the
graphic. This works, but the text is smashed into the side of the
graphic. To fix this I tried Wrap > Edit Contour. ...

If this is a simple rectangle (4x10), what happens when you just
uncheck "Contour" and set Spacing:Right to whatever you want? (To
begin, ignore Left, Top, Bottom, or just set them to 0.)

Brian's gift [I have long admired his gift for simple clarity] was to realize that you were not
looking at the Image Properties dialog box, and point you to it, and from there to the Wrap tab. My
mistake was to assume you were already there, and just needed to forget about the Contour. It
strikes me as a defect to be corrected, that two entry points bring you to different ways, with
different capabilities, to set the wrap characteristics. I will star this thread to tag for a bug
report.