On 01/08/2019 13:28, Michael Jeltsch wrote:

It is even more sad that even the method using self-signed certificates it
is broken in LibreOffice (at least in a frequently used scenario:
preinstalled LibreOffice under Ubuntu 18.04). Any GPG keys (or other certs)
that are available on the system are not accessible when invoking the
signing task from within LibreOffice. Under Ubuntu 18.04, LibreOffice
invokes the Seahorse key manager, which starts but never gets populated with
the available keys/certs (and also new key generation is dysfunctional in
this somehow isolated environment).

I am still trying to sign a single document with LibreOffice. Any help?
Where can I change how OpenOffice invokes Seahorse (or for that matter any
other certificate manager? The fact that this functionality is broken shows
how few people really do sign their documents. I guess in the corporate
setting, this is done more frequently, but NOT with LibreOffice. Sad, but
true.
I was intrigued by your remarks above because a couple of years' or so ago I had to sign a lot of
documents and I used a CAcert certificate which I had imported into Thunderbird and Firefox. LO
Writer had no difficulty using my certificate from the Firefox or Thunderbird certificate store.
That must have been on UbuntuStudio 1404 or even 1604.

Now I'm on 1804 with LO 6.0.7.3 and I just checked. It offers to sign my doc but only with an old
certificate which expired in June this year. My new cert is in both Firefox and Thunderbird but LO
appears unable to find it. When I click on the Start Certificate Manager button in the LO dialogue
box, it informs me that it couldn't find any certificate manager.

The LO Help files still instruct to use the Firefox and Thunderbird cert stores but some change has
evidently been introduced. And yet again the help files seem out of date.

Philip