On 01/31/2019 11:54 AM, Tom Williams wrote:
Now, this is interesting.  So, the digital signing you describe would
generate a digital version of my signature?  I have experience with
digitally signing a document, using a third party service, like
DocuSign.  In those cases, a "signature" font is used to represent my
actual signature.  I initially though the digital signing LibreOffice
supported added a digital signature to the document, itself, providing
some verification that I am who I claim to be.  Does it also add the
signature, in the manner you describe?

No, it doesn't generate a digital version of your signature.  It uses a
process, related to encryption, to generate a signature of the entire
document, that verifies it could have only come from you.  This is
commonly done with X.509 digital certificates, which are traceable back
to some top level certificate authority.  As an example of a bank
perhaps, they'd issue you your own public/private keys, which could be
traced back to the bank and to the top level authority beyond.  Since
that signature couldn't possibly have come from anyone else, it is your
signature.

You may want to read up on how public/private key encryption works and
X.509 certificates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.509