Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 11:46 skrev Andrew <phaedrusv@gmail.com>:

<snip>

Thanks for your speedy reply, Andrew ! Currently I have three LO icons
on my panel - the generic LO, Writer, and Calc, respectively,
corresponding to the services I most often use. Clicking the
first-named opens a menu allows me to choose from the other four
services with a simple click, which I presume serves the same function
as the Quick-starter which you describe above (I've never used it)....

From what you wrote above, I got the impression that the Quick-starter
option has been available to you in all LO versions previous to
6.1.0.3, which surprised me, as on the 6.0.6..2 version I presntly
have installed, I don't see any «memory» option (I'm using the
Swedish-language version, but I doubt that it differs in this respect
from the English-language version I presume you use). After doing some
searching, I've been given to understand that it was deprecated quite
some time ago, but that installing the «libreoffice-systray» package
would work. However, this alternative may also have been deprecated,
unfortunatelyI haven't a clue....

With regard to the pre-release PPA, in my experience it installs the
new version over the older one. It works very well, - which hasn't
always been the case when I've manually installed a pre-release
version from the LO website - the only problem is that I often have to
wait a short while before the PPA becomes available to me. Thus, for
example, version 6.1.0.3 was successfully added to the PPA some three
days ago, but it still hasn't appeared on my Update Manager. However,
I regard waiting a few extra days for it to come as a small price to
pay for the convenience and reliability it hitherto has offered me....

Henri

Hi Henri

Thanks for the tip about libreoffice-systray. I've just installed it and
restarted LibO and still nothing ... and I cannot see anything on-line
about how to launch it. It is of course possible that all of the
libraries will be loaded next time I log back into my system, so that
test will have to wait a little.

I guess that because I hadn't noticed it being deprecated before was
because it was somehow 'magically' (?) operational and present in all
upgrades. I never really thought about it until it became evident due to
being absent.

In which case, I may have to take a leaf out of your book and just pin
the three or so most used applications and be done with it.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and help.

Best wishes

Andrew

Hope pinning the most used LO applications resolves your problem !...

Henri