On 10/08/18 10:22, M Henri Day wrote:
Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 10:44 skrev Andrew <phaedrusv@gmail.com <mailto:phaedrusv@gmail.com>>:

    On 10/08/18 09:37, M Henri Day wrote:
    > Den fre 10 aug. 2018 kl 10:04 skrev Andrew <phaedrusv@gmail.com
    <mailto:phaedrusv@gmail.com>
    > <mailto:phaedrusv@gmail.com <mailto:phaedrusv@gmail.com>>>:
    >
    >     Hi all
    >
    >     Have just downloaded and installed LibreOffice Version:
    6.1.0.3 for
    >     Linux Mint 19 ('Tara').
    >
    >     First off, thanks to all of the developers and team of
    geniuses  who put
    >     this great piece of software together and keep pushing its
    quality to
    >     ever greater heights. As always, the new install works smoothly,
    >     and the  new interface is looking great.
    >
    >     I did notice that there is no longer an option to enable the
    >     Quick-starter (in fact, there's now no longer any 'memory' menu
    >     option
    >     under 'options' within which to enable the Quick-starter). I
    don't
    >     know
    >     if this is a feature or a bug from a development
    perspective, but
    >     from a
    >     user perspective, it is a bug: I used to use it all of the
    time and
    >     found myself missing it immediately.
    >
    >     Is there any likelihood in the future to bring this option back?
    >     Or, is
    >     there something in one of the config files I might be able
    to hack
    >     as a
    >     work around?
    >
    >     Anyway, thanks again to all involved. Great stuff and as
    always, I am
    >     very pleased my donations are being put to such a good
    investment.

    >     Best wishes
    >
    >     Andrew
    >

    > Andrew, wouldn't it suffice for your purposes to pin the
    LibreOffice > icon(s) to the panel on LM (right click the icon
    desired in the meny
    > and choose the option «Pin to the panel») ? I'm using the same
    version > of LMyou do (but LO 6.0.6.2 rather than 6.1.0.3 - still
    waiting for
    > the pre-release PPA to kick in) and it works very well for me....
    >
    > Henri

    Hi Henri

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have a series of 'drawers' in a side panel, into which I have
    pinned
    the LibO app launcher, so that enables me to launch the whole suite.
    What I like(d) about the Quick-starter was being able to right
    click it
    and to select the specific application (e.g., calc, impress, etc.)
    that
    I wanted to use rather than to pin a set of specific app launchers
    to my
    panel.

    I agree though that that will be an option if the development
    decision
    is to deprecate the use of the Quick-starter, although I hope they
    don't! :-)

    BTW - in using the PPA, when you update, does it automatically remove
    the old version of LibO prior to installing the new, and does it
    install
    the three packages in the correct sequence? I guess it does, but I've
    always been wary of that so have traditionally always done it
    manually
    via synaptic to remove the previous install and then dpkg -i to
    install
    the new packages.

    Thanks again

    Andrew

Thanks for your speedy reply, Andrew ! Currently I have three LO icons on my panel - the generic LO, Writer, and Calc, respectively, corresponding to the services I most often use. Clicking the first-named opens a menu allows me to choose from the other four services with a simple click, which I presume serves the same function as the Quick-starter which you describe above (I've never used it)....

From what you wrote above, I got the impression that the Quick-starter option has been available to you in all LO versions previous to 6.1.0.3, which surprised me, as on the 6.0.6..2 version I presntly have installed, I don't see any «memory» option (I'm using the Swedish-language version, but I doubt that it differs in this respect from the English-language version I presume you use). After doing some searching, I've been given to understand that it was deprecated quite some time ago, but that installing the «libreoffice-systray» package would work. However, this alternative may also have been deprecated, unfortunatelyI haven't a clue....

With regard to the pre-release PPA, in my experience it installs the new version over the older one. It works very well, - which hasn't always been the case when I've manually installed a pre-release version from the LO website - the only problem is that I often have to wait a short while before the PPA becomes available to me. Thus, for example, version 6.1.0.3 was successfully added to the PPA some three days ago, but it still hasn't appeared on my Update Manager. However, I regard waiting a few extra days for it to come as a small price to pay for the convenience and reliability it hitherto has offered me....

Henri

Hi Henri

Thanks for the tip about libreoffice-systray. I've just installed it and restarted LibO and still nothing ... and I cannot see anything on-line about how to launch it. It is of course possible that all of the libraries will be loaded next time I log back into my system, so that test will have to wait a little.

I guess that because I hadn't noticed it being deprecated before was because it was somehow 'magically' (?) operational and present in all upgrades. I never really thought about it until it became evident due to being absent.

In which case, I may have to take a leaf out of your book and just pin the three or so most used applications and be done with it.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and help.

Best wishes

Andrew