Hi :)
Easy tiger!  I know it must be frustrating that so many of us are so slow
and lacking in knowledge about these things but it seems like some of us
are getting somewhere, or at least catching-up.

Btw obviously PDF is editable to some degree or other by quite a few
programs these days.  LibreOffice is able to edit some of it.  There is
also a "Hybrid Pdf" which looks like it's only a Pdf until opened with
LibreOffice - LO gives a choice of opening the Odf contained inside the
Pdf.

However the main reason that proper Pdf Editors, such as Adobe's, are in
any demand at all is due to the failures of MS Office's constantly
inconsistent and unreliable formats plus the failure of any other program
to effectively compete with MSO.  I'm not sure why WordPerfect weren't able
to stay as number one but my guess would be some dodgy dealings somewhere.

Also it seems that people want their word-processor to produce output like
a Desktop Publisher.  MS's Publisher program is sufficiently complex that
it puts people off daring to try any of their competitors.  Scribus is
waaaay outside their comfort-zone.  Oddly when Writer was first being
created, before the days of OpenOffice, it was largely being built as a
Desktop Publishing program - although it's devs couldn't entirely agree
what to make it so it ended up mostly being a word-processor.  So, that is
one of the reasons why documents created by LibreOffice tend to look so
much less scrappy than ones made by MSO.

The fact that Pdfs are somewhat editable by quite a few programs now but
only properly editable by Adobe's expensive Pdf editor doesn't mean that
the format is meant to be editable.  It's a square peg in a round hole.

Regards from
a Tom :)