On 02/24/2018 05:19 AM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
On 24/02/2018 09:35, zahra a wrote:

since i am not programmer and cant use linux, i should use xp.
Everyone can use Linux, not only developers. I have a degree in
humanities and have never written a single line of code, but I am a very
happy Linux user and will never switch back to macOS or Windows. Windows
XP has been deprecated by Microsoft in 2014, so the operating system is
not maintained and is not secure. You should definitely try something
different.

Here is a reply for a few posts.

Italo

I use to program main frame computers and my first PC was a PC-XT generic system with dual floppies.  In the past 20+ years, I did do some small stuff with various languages, but went with C/C++ maybe 10 years ago, but I am not really a PC programmer.

I learned about Linux, RedHat and others, in a class for a Network Technology degree.  During the Vista era, I needed to do some audio/video work and the Windows packages were more than 4 times my rent. I then bought a "low cost" desktop for a Linux box.  I loved all of the free stuff.  Then with the knowledge that half my processing power went to anti virus and other security packages, I started to use Ubuntu 9.10 on a newly bought desktop.  That one now has 6.25TB of storage space. Two of my laptops have Ubuntu MATE and Windows 10 installed, and the newest runs only Ubuntu MATE.

Robert The custom install as you stated seems to come up in Windows, not DEB based Linux install, unless you install through the repository, and package managers like Synaptic. Henri I did not look to see Base, since I did not use it. Yes, the Math, Draw, and Base, seems not to be installed by default. Since the repository usually have an older versions of LO. It looked like Ubuntu MATE had LO 5.1.x as their included version. After I updated the old computer, I installed 5.4.6. I have 6.0.1 on the laptop I am typing this. - - - - - Thanks to all your comments. This thread was started when I was given a really old HP Pavilion alll8x desktop. It was a 64 bit CPU running Windows XP [32 bit] and only 512MB RAM and 160 GB drive. I found two 512MB memory modules/sticks and with them I have about 800MB of RAM after the "shared video memory". I may install a second IDE/PATA drive with a 80GB on. I really did not want to spend money on this old base model desktop. Since I really did not want to install XP on it, then use a Win7 upgrade disk to get a more modern Windows OS. Since MATE desktop environment was stated to be a good option for the old Win XP users, I installed Ubuntu Mate on it. Also, even if I installed Win7, half of the processor power would be used for the needed security packages. I have been adding various packages to the system; LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome [for those who want it], GIMP, VLC, Education software packages, Sound Converter, XPad, font manager, and other packages that might be useful. I did remove a lot of fonts like the massive collection of Thai fonts. Over half of the fonts installed seemed to be Thai fonts. Also, from a different post, I added K3b CD/DVD burner - that I use all the time. That required some KDE runtime package. There was a comment about using Kubuntu on the old desktop. I wanted the system be setup so all the user would need to do is install the printer they may have. Or use Ubuntu Software Center, and the newer software center installed with Ubuntu MATE 16.04, to add some other packages they might want. To be honest, the system is set up to not need a password to load, but has a root password that is the model version till the user changes it.