Hi :)
I'm not sure how to open as read-only myself but i'd guess a right-click
either per file or on a group of selected files prolly has something.

I think chmod might help change which user "owns" the files - or put them
on a volume/drive/folder that is mounted read-only - but that all seems a
bit extreme.

You could change the time-delay or completely eliminate the auto-save
feature.  Such options used to be in;
Tools - Options - ...
or something like that and prolly still are.

Good luck and regards from
a Tom :)