And yet somehow, WordPerfect and Lotus 123 only took up 2mb of my 10mb hard
disk (that was 1990)...

On Jan 1, 2018 8:12 PM, "Tim-L" <webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:

I hoped that my figure of 896 MB was not out of the norm.

I know many people might not get why people are concerned with the
installed size of the packages.  They figure that you could just add a
larger drive to the laptop or another drive [2nd or 3rd] to the desktop. My
newest laptop came with a 1TB drive. The one I am typing from has 500GB.  I
have seen a number of 2TB laptop drives for under $100. I have seen larger,
as well, but between the price and the heat issues, these larger ones may
not be best for low to mid level laptops. Also some people have had trouble
getting a desktop to boot up from a drive larger than 2TB. Desktops uses
one boot disk 2TB or smaller, and then add the 3, 4, or larger data
drives.  Not an option for laptops.

NOW, after that you can see there are limits for laptops for drive size.

For me, I notice my laptops get down to under 20 GB free very quickly.  I
have to have a USB 2TB drive [military grade] on hand to off load data
files so I can continue to do "my thing".  Then I have to try to find room
in my data storage desktop for them.  Of course, I have an old style PATA
drive for boot and three 2TB drives installed with maybe maybe 100 GB left
between the 4 drives.  There is no more room in the case and I had to rig
up a lot of fans to keep it cool enough to work. Of course for whatever
reason it crashes every time I try to install Ubuntu 16.04. OK, that is a
pet peeve.

Of course, if you grew up before the PC was invented, or before there was
an Internet, you will know how I feel about all these "new technologies"
came out.

"on the other hand" - I remember having to install Adobe packages and MS
Office on a 50-80 gig hard drives at a computer work area. Of course, how
many of you remember having to install Windows via floppy discs - twelve if
I am correct - on desktops with no CD drive [before I was allowed to add a
temporary CD drive to use for the installs].