Peter,

Here are some links to the threads I posted on LinuxQuestions.org about this matter. The thread title is (in case you want to search for it instead of logging into LinuxQuestions):

*Problem with the 4.4.75 kernel security upgrade dated 26 June 2017 (SSE 2017-177-01)*

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/problem-with-the-4-4-75-kernel-security-upgrade-dated-26-june-2017-sse-2017-177-01-a-4175610351/

And somehow this one got separated from the main thread:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/problem-with-the-4-4-75-kernel-security-upgrade-dated-26-june-2017-sse-2017-177-01-a-4175610351/page2.html#post5771382

The fix, as stated in the response from "bormant" on the 08-07-17, 11:25 AM posting, is to add "stack_guard_gap=6" to the LILO "append=" statement. If you are not using Lilo, then this may look differently. The idea is to pass this statement to the kernel when it boots. The second link is from a *buntu user and has a link to a ubuntu answer to adding this argument to Grub, the *buntu boot loader.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter/19487#19487

There is one caveat to this fix I should have mentioned in my first response. The problem only shows up on 32-bit Linux, not 64-bit. So, if you are running 64-bit Linux, this may not help. The alternate solution would be to switch to 64-bit Linux, but then that could open up another can of worms. I have been sticking to 32-bit because of the 32-bit apps that I rely on.

I said it was technical.

HTH.
Girvin