At 18:46 06/10/2017 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
I have two spreadsheets. I created the first back in June. It uses two sheets, ... I can relate the two by the entrant's name, which is 3 columns in the first sheet and 1 (uppercase) column in the second using the formula:

=N(VLOOKUP(UPPER(TRIM(C2)&" "&TRIM(E2)&".*"),Standings.C$2:J$37,8,0))

This works in the spreadsheet I created in June but doesn't work in the spreadsheet I just created. I traced this down to the &".*" part of the search term. [...] Replacing the &".*" with a simple &" " to assume that the names always have a trailing space did work, as did removing the trailing spaces and leaving out the &" ". However the original formula works on the June spreadsheet with or without trailing spaces in the names.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong?

You are relying on VLOOKUP() supporting regular expressions. For this to be so, you must have a tick at Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Calc | Calculate | Enable regular expressions in formulae. It seems that you have this ticked in your June spreadsheet but not in your newer one. Note that, although this appears to be a setting in the application, it is actually saved in each document. With the tick in place, ".*" means zero or more of any character (which is what you mean), whereas with no tick it means just the two characters dot-asterisk.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker