I've been very interested in the discussion of the problems users are
having in LO5.4.1.2 not reading fonts. Someone mentioned that he had
converted a font to one LO had no trouble finding, So I thought I would
try and do the same .

Downloaded FontForge with the purpose of converting Garamond Adobe fonts
to a format which LO 5.4.1.2 can read.

When I open the Garamond fonts in Font Forge they are displayed

ugmm8a.pfb
ugmmi8a.pfb
ugmmr8a.pfb
ugmmri8a.pfb

Clicking on any one of them displays an edit window and I presume that I
should be able to convert each to something other than .pfb but have no
idea how to do it.

I have looked at several utube videos but they do not cover conversion
from one font type to another, concentrating upon creating new fonts.  I
tried to access the fontforge website but after some twenty minutes of
waiting for it to load, without success, I gave up.

All advice would be welcome, as the Garamond font is used for my business
letterhead.

It seems you need to create a script for that. A quick search gives me this

http://jeromejaglale.com/doc/convert_pfb_pfm_font_to_otf

https://fontforge.github.io/scripting-tutorial.html

I've never did that, so I cannot help you more. But if you need to use a
garalde font for headings try switching to Cormorant, a really good OFL
licensed font full of OpenType features:

https://github.com/CatharsisFonts/Cormorant

The stylistic set 2 (+ss02) provides an even more "garamond" shape than the
basic font.

Regards,
Ricardo

zed