On 08/24/2017 05:00 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi,

Steve Edmonds schrieb:
Hi.
Just adding this in case another user has come across this situation.

In LO 5.3.3 Writer I found I could not change the palette or edit any
colours in Table>Properties>Background.

Yes, in that dialog you can only select a color from the currently active palette. You have to change the palette before you open that dialog. That is not new.

Changing the palette in Writer or Calc needs a trick: Draw a shape, e.g. a rectangle, in its context menu use item Area. And there you can change the palette. It will become the currently active palette for the entire document. Afterward you can delete the shape.

This problem exists since the beginning of OpenOffice.

In newer LibreOffice versions is only the change, that you cannot have several user defined palettes but only one. It is still possible to have lot of palettes as common palettes, but they are not editable in the UI.

Kind regards
Regina

What do you mean that you cannot have several user defined palettes?

I have several user-defined color palettes listed in my Ubuntu folder of "/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config".

The color palettes that were installed by LibreOffice 5.3.x is located in "/opt/libreoffice5.3/share/palette" - or at least with Ubuntu 16.04.

I make sure that their names start with "color_" so there is no problem with two having the same name.

I just created a few lines and each line was colored by a different palette's file. So you can have many palette files used in a document. But, if you mean that in the Tools > Options > Chart color definition, then I agree that you need to have some way to easily add colors to the Chart list of colors. It lists "LibreOffice" in a option but it seems not to be changed to a different palette, like the font color option in Writer and in the Application Colors.

Maybe an easier way to add/delete colors from the standard.soc palette would be nice. I had to do a global search to find the standard.soc file and where those palettes installed.

I am getting really good making color palettes, but for the average user it might not be that easy. I have a lot of different color chart PDF files. That give me some nice HEX numbers for the colors. It I did not have those, I would have to use GIMP and its Color selector option[s] to define a color, then add it to a user defined palette. I once made a HTML file for a lot of text colors with changing the background color or tiled image. I should have saved it to use it for seeing what text colors/sizes would work with a defined background color or image in Writer. I make many poster that use background/watermark images.

It is just like the list of installed fonts. "/opt/libreoffice5.3/share/fonts/truetype" list a lot of fonts, but I kept adding/deleting fonts to the "/.fonts" folder. I had a lot more fonts in Writer that was not in my ".fonts" folder that I did not want. So after I found the "/opt/" font folder I had to be very careful not to uninstall system needed fonts.