OK, a quick update.

I continued to fiddle with the language settings.

I'm not sure what I changed but LO said that the changes required a restart. So I did the restart and now it works! I can't figure out what exactly changed to cause the restart but it looks like it's OK now. 1+1.5=2.5 again! Hurrah!

If you know what changes cause LO to require a restart to affect the change, I would appreciate knowing. Then if this happens again I'll know what to do.

Thank you Jorge, Regina and Brian!

Cheers!
B.