For a user that it works, open a terminal and type which libreoffice and see
where it finds the program. On an older ubuntu machine  it found
/usr/bin/libreoffice  for my home machine it is /usr/bin/libreoffice5.3 on my
machine. There might also be a symbolic link to it.

Mine had an older link with libreoffice pointing to the old 5.2, which I recently
removed after installing 5.3, so I removed and recreated link.

Is there a difference in paths between users?

If you run it from the terminal does it work?
libreoffice
libreoffice5.2
/usr/bin/libreoffice
/usr/bin/libreoffice5.2