On 02/15/2017 07:37 AM, william drescher wrote:
On 2/14/2017 5:20 PM, anne-ology wrote:
what would you do if the power grid went out, leaving you with no
access to your data?

Summer: I would mix a big gin and tonic and relax while contemplating what would happen to civilization. Winter: I would mix a big mulled wine and sit in front of the fireplace while contemplating what would happen to civilization.

If you lost the entire power grid, working on a computer is the least of your problems.

-bill

One of the big things that businesses need to look at is who can access and "own" the data in the cloud. I have heard of several versions of the answer[s] since the cloud started to be used to store data. Your "power" issue is a problem, but what happens if the cloud service gets bought out by another company or if the service closes down.

Like any data, you NEED to backup your data. If the data is stored online, I really think people/organization/business needs to make a backup of the data that is stored in their home/office/building in some offline method. That way, if the service goes down for an extended period [hours to days] there will be some access to the data. If people not using the cloud should/need to backup your data. I have 6TB+ of data and it is stored on USB drives. If you use a cloud service, you MUST know how the data is backed up. How many times has a server, that LibreOffice uses, needed "fixes" to keep the services going. The "service is down" issues we have had over the years has been annoying to the users, but gets fixed quickly. We have been lucky so far.

There has been some really weird "service agreement" language that aloud the provider to read your data to make sure that the data is not of an illegal nature. Other seem to tell the user that since your data is on their servers, then it belongs to the service provider in some way. The good service providers will encrypt data that is stored on their servers. My problem with these services is that you need an expensive lawyer to figure out the the "terms of service" agreement.

The worse case is that the service closes down for more than a day or two. This can be due to weather and other "natural" issues that either takes down the power lines for an extended period and/or the building that holds the servers are severely damaged. This could be caused by fire, earth quakes, or really bad storms. The news full of the natural disasters that destroys the power lines, floods the community where the servers are located, or even wild fires doing the same destruction.

I am not applying that the service provider could have any service issues, but we need to think about the worse case.

This is my own opinion on these subjects, based on what I have seen - via the news services - and/or read about in the USA. You alway need to think about the worse case so if it happens, you will not lose you data and be down for the shortest time possible.