Struggling here with VLOOKUP which I think is the right tool.

I have a column of numbers on one sheet (sheet 1) and on another sheet (sheet 2) a column of numbers with an associated name in adjacent cell. My objective is to find the name associated with the number on sheet 2 and enter it in sheet 1, or put another way: to take (in turn down the column) the number on sheet 1, find this number in the column in sheet 2 and write the name adjacent to that number in cell adjacent to the number I started with in sheet 1.

The numbers are random and not necessarily to be found in second sheet. If no name is found I need some marker entered so I know I must
recourse to a manual search elsewhere.

I think VLOOKUP might be the right tool but got stuck right at the start trying to reference across two sheets. I have both open in same instance of LibreOffice.

Please could somebody confirm my approach and or advise how to proceed.